Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to view a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Eliminate the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to remove the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will ensure that whenever you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate with the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you have to consider the grade where your yard currently sits and the amount of soil you have to install for your new lawn. In a few special cases where you could add a layer of brand new soil without having to be above grade, you could leave the existing lawn in place. New lawns will need the absolute minimum depth of 3 inches of any well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals may be completed with the aid of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in challenging to access yards may be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For The New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is really important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will discover much better growth over the years if a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the more expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The perfect lawn should be constructed with at least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at least 70% sand as well as the sub grade ought to be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils which contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor should be avoided as well. Typically topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure you ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make sure the composting process is complete. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance should be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also referred to as turf is definitely the preferred approach to installing a whole new lawn. Sod can be installed throughout the year and turf farms are available to supply all year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to utilize is determined by:
1. The use of your lawn area. This includes the volume of traffic that the lawn area is subjected to, including pets and children.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive a minimum of 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
Generally turf that comes coming from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
How To Install the Sod. Installing a whole new lawn may be completed with these simple steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams usually do not match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending a little extra time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all of the soil. In the event you leave gaps involving the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a complicated job should you don’t spend the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into position having a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. There is no need to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Tend not to allow the turf dry up at any point. When the sod is permitted to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day may need frequent watering so be sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the brand new lawn after you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn can be a very rewarding task and provides instant beautification to the property.